Aadhar Virtual ID is a unique 16-digit temporary code that can be used for Aadhar verifications. You can provide your virtual ID instead of Aadhar Number as to protect your Aadhar details from being access from agencies and also it can be used for verifications.
UIDAI has started this facility and it has been in action since June 2018. This helps to prevent Aadhar data breach because it is almost impossible to track the Aadhar number from Virtual ID. So, it is better that you also generate Aadhar Virtual ID to prevent any mishaps.
How to Generate Aadhar Virtual ID?
Virtual ID is basically an alternative for people to Aadhar number. It is a temporary 16 digit code that users can use instead of their Aadhar number and it can be used for Aadhar verifications. It can be generated as many times as the user want and is valid for at least one day and can be changed with the change in date.
To generate Virtual ID for your Aadhar Number, follow these steps:
- Head over to UIDAI’s website.
- Under Aadhaar Services section, click on Virtual ID (VID) Generator.
- Now you will be taken to the VID Generation Page where you will have to enter your 12-digit Aadhaar Number along with the captcha code.
- Now to continue further, click on Send OTP.
- An OTP will now be sent to the registered mobile number associated with that Aadhaar Number.
- Now enter the received OTP in the Enter OTP box.
- Now select Generate VID or Retrieve VID(retrieve the one you have already generated).
- Click on Submit.
- You will now get a message saying that your VID Number has generated successfully and it will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- On your mobile phone, you will get a message like “Dear (Name), XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX is the Virtual ID for your Aadhaar Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX generated at (Time).”
- You can now use this Virtual ID number instead of your Aadhar number.
Features of Aadhar Virtual ID (VID)
Some of the features of the Aadhar Virtual ID are:
- This 16-digit temporary code will replace Aadhar number for authentication.
- Only one Virtual ID is valid.
- Only one Virtual ID can be used at a time. Once a new VID is issued, the old one isn’t useable then.
- All the agencies will have to update their system by 1st June 2018 in order to include VIDs in their systems.
- Aadhar numbers cannot be retrieved from Virtual ID in any way.
- It is not compulsory for people to generate and use VIDs. They can use their Aadhar for verifications ass well.
- Agencies cannot force applicants in any way to provide Aadhar number instead of VIDs for e-KYC or verification.
- No agencies are authorized to store the Virtual ID or Aadhaar details taken for authentication.