If you have paid higher tax over your salary and income to the government in the previous financial year then you are supposed to file your Income Tax Return for the previous year to claim the refund amount. Individuals pay higher tax when during the financial year the advance tax paid by an individual, self-assessment or tax deducted at source (TDS) is more than their tax liability.
Once you file Income Tax Refund, it will be processed by the Income Tax Department and after processing, the tax department will determine whether a refund is payable to your or not.
If payable, then you will get a notification via SMS and email which will show the amount of refund that will be refunded/credited to your bank account along with a refund sequence number.
To find out the status of your Income Tax Refund, there are actually two methods by which you can check the status of Tax Refund. The first method is through the income tax e-filing website from where you can not only file but also find the status of your Tax Refund.
How to Check Status of Tax Refund?
- Visit the official website of Income Tax Department – https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Login into your account.
- Once logged in, under the Dashboard section you will see an option View Returns / Forms. Click on it.
- Now from the Select an Option dropdown menu, choose IncomeTax Returns and in Assesment Year choose the particular year. e.g (2019-20)
- Once you click on Submit, it will display the ITR filed for that year.
- Click on your Acknowledgment Number which is a hyperlink.
- If you ITR was processed then it will you all the details about ITR filing such as the date and time of filing, date of completion of processing, date of issue of refund, mode of payment, refund amount, etc.
Alternatively, you can also check the status of ITR through the TIN NSDL website. To check the status of Income Tax Refund through TIN NDSL website, follow these steps:
- Visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html
- Enter your Permanent Account Number (PAN).
- Select the Assessment Year i.e 2019-20.
- Enter the captcha code and click on Submit.
- Depending on your refund status, a message will be displayed on the screen. e.g If the Refund has been processed and credited to your bank account then it will show “Refund is already credited to your bank, please contact your bank”.