Once you have filed for Income Tax Return through the ITR Forms and have verified it, then your form will be processed by the Income Tax Department. If any refund is due then it will be issued to you after the processing is fully completed by the Income Tax Department.
After verification, the status of your Income Tax Return would be “Successfully e-Verified” and after the processing has been done, the status of your Income Tax Return would be “ITR Processed”.
During the process of ITR processing, the Income Tax Department would check and make sure that there is no difference between the income declared and the tax paid by you with the data they have available.
Once the processing is done, you will be sent a notice under Section 143 (1) which will inform you about the return that whether it has been accepted or there is some difference between the declared income and tax paid.
In case if there is some discrepancy, the notice will show the additional tax payable, however, if there is no discrepancy and any refund is due then it will also be shown.
How To Check e-Filed Income Tax Return Status?
- Head over to the website of Income Tax Department – https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- On the left side of the screen under the Services section, click on ITR Status.
- You will be redirected to a new page where you will have to enter the required information which includes your PAN Number, Acknowledgement Number, and Captcha Code.
- After you type in all the details, click on Submit.
- The status of your e-Filed Income Tax Return will be displayed on the screen.
You can also check the status of your Income Tax Return by signing into your Income Tax Portal Account.
- Visit the official website of Income Tax Department and login into your account.
- Once logged in, under the Dashboard section you will see an option View Returns / Forms. Click on it.
- Now from the Select an Option dropdown menu, choose IncomeTax Returns and in Assestment Year choose the particular year. e.g (2019-20)
- Once you click on Submit, it will display the status of your e-Filed Income Tax Return on the screen whether it is verified or it has been processed!